Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Dr. Nathaniel (R) Dolittle

Loving me some...
Animal Friendly Celebs. Here's a list o' kindness.

Hating on...
Beyoncé and her ignorance. Cruelty ain't glamourous. I realize that the idea of promoting your own fabulous self (look at me --wrapped up in luxury!) and your riches (look at me--I made something of myself!) is a very foregrounded part of hip-hop culture. And please--who am I to judge? I eat meat on occassion (hey --we're all works in progress). And if I suddenly had millions I'd be all about waving it around, too. Said waving just wouldn't involve fur. Who needs it? It's so easy to avoid. It's not mixed into things that you constantly need (like leather is with shoes / belts). It doesn't contain ingredients your body needs (like meat with protein) There's just no excuse. It's barbaric and medieval.

It'd be nice to see more of this type of enlightenment spread around. So today's good karma message: Next time you hear a Beyoncé tune you like? Tune out and buy some Badhu instead.

But all that said, I won't be boycotting Dreamgirls or anything. Can't wait to hear JHud telling me (she's not going). I just hope Beyoncé doesn't hog to much of that "Supreme" spotlight.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm anti-fur, anti-KFC, and am kind to animals. Why am I not on that list (j/k)?

But seriously, hooray for animal-friendly celebs (and humane folks in general)! Love me all animals, too. I currently have two dogs and a cat, so it rips my heart out to hear stories of animal cruelty. Mean, rotten bastards, those trolls (boo! hiss!).

Marco

Anonymous said...

I'm resolutely anti-Beyonce, if that counts. Whilst I'd cite Crazy In Love as a Great song, generally speaking I don't get the R&B/hip-hop/urban thing. All sounds the same to me. And she's really no great shakes as a vocalist.

Rob

NATHANIEL R said...

Ooh i hate that perfume commercial where she breathily and out-of-tunely sings and you're supposed to be wowed. i'm like.

er...

try a key. and some breathing lessons. but yeah, crazy in love is a great ditty.

ryan said...

personally, I have no problem with fur. It's pretty and I like pretty things.
However, you'll be pleased to know that the erudite and adorable (isn't sad how that combination is so rare?) Tim Gunn was given an award by PETA for encouraging fur alternatives at Parsons

Anonymous said...

Nat,

I hope the boyfriend was being sarcastic with that fur statement. If not, please make sure he is sleeping on the couch tonight.

Marco

ryan said...

oh please - if the choice is between Pamela Anderson or Karl Lagerfeld, well darling, Karl will win every time.

Anonymous said...

Gays and their couture...oy vey! They can be oh-so-shallow and materialistic. (Hey, relax, I'm one, too). Not that Pamela Anderson et al can't be considered just as acquisitive as the rest of us. But what ever happened to the sensitive, expansive world-vision of liberal human beings of the queer kind everywhere? So much for bleeding hearts...

Marco

NATHANIEL R said...

His bark is worse than his bite.

Glenn Dunks said...

I find it hard to hate Beyonce because i love her songs (er, some of them - others are dreck). "Check On It" is great fun, okay!

Anonymous said...

I'll take your word for it, Nat (lol)!

Marco