Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Giant Rabbits, Sidewalk Cows, Transcendental Meditation, Oh My

It's David Lynch Day in NYC - his new film, Inland Empire, opened up here today. Then tomorrow, in Slovakia. Of course. By next week it'll be winding its way through the country like overgrown grass through a mysteriously severed ear.

I don't have much to say about Inland Empire at this juncture; I am, as with all things Lynch, a bit confounded and at a loss for words even before seeing the film, and will probably remain that way well after actually viewing it. I may try and go this weekend since the boyfriend's out of town and he had such a violently negative response to Mulholland Drive that I can't even bring up Lynch to him without hearing that again. He's not anti-Lynch - Blue Velvet is one of his favorite films - but he's of the mind-set that MD was proof that Lynch has nothing more to say and is simply copying his old ideas ad nauseum (emphasis on nausea) into oblivion. I... disagree, and loved MD, but I guess we have to have something to argue about to keep things interesting.

Anyway, the trailer for Inland Empire popped up online just a couple of days ago, and you can see it below. Reviews of the film, so far, are... long-winded and obtuse (cough Dargis cough), for the most part, as Ol' Man Lynch always, thankfully, seems to inspire.



.

15 comments:

Cinesnatch said...

I feel the same way your boyfriend does.

adam k. said...

Oh my.

That trailer is something else.

I believe Lynch had plenty to say with Mulholland Dr., and that it was a great film, but it looks like this one might in fact be Lynch just putting a bunch of weird shit on a screen. At least that's what he does in the trailer.

Cinesnatch said...

I'm not sure what Mulholland Dr did that Lost Highway didn't. But, it's been five years since I saw Drive, so I don't remember a great deal.

My Favorite Lynch films:
1. Blue Velvet
2. Wild at Heart
3. Lost Highway
4. Straight Story

Anonymous said...

LMAO WTF was that?!?!? I am so there!

Ugh, Lynch for life.

But seriously, that trailer was just trippy!

Anonymous said...

I love David Lynch. Even his misfires are fascinating.

My favorites:

1. Blue Velvet
2. Mulholland Drive
3. The Straight Story
4. Wild at Heart
5. The Elephant Man

And I tendle to waver back and forth between great affection, respect, and disinterest for Lost Highway and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (Loved the TV show, though)

Anonymous said...

David Lynch's films cater to the self-congratulatory poseurs who love to pat themselves on the back for embracing a director who is so "artsy" and "weird".

Glenn Dunks said...

Lynch is just a flat out genius in my mind. The only movie of his that I don't like and that I can't even pass off as decent is Dune.

All of his films are A- or higher in my books except for Eraserhead.

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Twin Peaks/Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me
3. Blue Velvet
4. The Straight Story
5. Wild at Heart
6. Lost Highway
7. The Elephant Man
8. Eraserhead

Inland Empire has been my most anticipated film all year and I can't wait. Of course it won't make it to Australia for a few months, probably considering he's self-distributing it or whatever his crazy plan is.

That "trailer" is screwed up.

Anonymous said...

I am so mad I can't download hardly ANY media in my apartment. Leave it to me to live in the last apartment complex in the U.S. where even reliable dial-up is unavailable! I haven't seen a movie trailer in months! Anyway. Enough about me. I didn't appreciate MD much when I saw it in a theater full of hissing Wyomingites five years ago, but, lately, I've had the urge to give it another chance. All I remember is the Spanish singer. And the box(es?). Hmm...

Anonymous said...

P.S. Nathaniel! Welcome back!

adam k. said...

Whoa, I totally didn't realize this Lynch post wasn't by Nathaniel! Hahaha. I thought "my boyfriend" was actually THE Boyfriend, of TFE lore.

But other than that difference, it doesn't really change anything about the post. Still cool.

Glenn Dunks said...

Dusty. Please do. It really is an A+ masterpiece.

Jason Adams said...

Yeah, I left off the conspicuous "JA here" at the start; sorry Adam! My bad! Nat and I may share a lot of obsessions, but the same bf is not one of them. ;-)

Anonymous said...

And just for the record, this boyfriend loves some crazy-ass Lynch and can't wait to see this movie.

OhMyTrill said...

I heart David Lynch...have been obssessed ever since I watched Mulholland Drive a few years ago...Inland Empire is also my most anticipated of the year...

Looks like Laura Dern's film from the trailer, doesn't it?

Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with everything Lynch, except maybe Dune, and this is without a doubt my most anticipated film in years (alongside maybe Dario Argento's "The Third Mother").

It looks like he's done some amazing things with DV too. I've heard reviews saying it's more disturbing than Fire Walk With Me and the rest of Lynch's career, which is exciting.

Mulholland Drive was another career high point, and I think it looks he's done a hell of a follow up. It's 3 hours of Lynch at his most imaginative, which guarantees a good time. I think his films are works of art, and to call them pretentious or write them off as weird demeans the craft that goes into them and the layers they really have.